Sponsored by Gold Seal, AIMS and Steadfast
Supported by Lloyds
“Anyone with passion for our industry and their community should apply” – Karen Hardy, winner 2017
The Valerie Baker Memorial Award recognises excellence in professional practice in the General Insurance intermediary sector. Applications are now open and will close on 1 March 2018.
Once again the importance of this Award for the industry is highlighted by the fact the Award is sponsored jointly by AIMS, Gold Seal and Steadfast with support from Lloyd’s.
Who can apply?
The Award is open to all Australian and New Zealand Brokers and Underwriting Agencies. There are no limitations, e.g. gender, age or cluster group membership, and the winner is selected on merit. A strong interest in exploring the foundations of the Insurance industry and in helping to fly the flag for intermediaries in the London Market will be highly regarded.
To be eligible, candidates are required to be resident in Australia or New Zealand and be currently employed by or the principal of a General Insurance intermediary (Insurance Brokerage or an Underwriting Agency).
How do I apply?
There are 2 steps:
- Either nominate yourself or be nominated, and send us an application attaching your CV, three industry references and a statement telling us why you think you should win
- Shortlisted candidates will attend an interview
Loads more information is on our website here: https://www.goldseal.com.au/valerie-baker-award/
Who will interview me if I’m shortlisted?
You will be interviewed by a panel representing the sponsors. They will select a winner based on both their interview and application. The panel for 2018 is comprised of senior industry professionals including:
- Jim Rudkin representing Steadfast
- Chris Mackinnon, General Representative Lloyd’s Australia
- Martin McAvenna representing AIMS
- Sheila Baker, Managing Director Gold Seal (Chair)
What’s the prize?
The winner will receive a career changing opportunity to see first-hand how the London Market operates. The prize includes:
- An expenses-paid trip to London, with business class air fares and accommodation in the heart of the financial district
- An education experience tailored to the winner’s special interests (e.g. in 2017 and 2016 the winner spent a week at the Lloyd’s Global Development Centre looking at emerging risks)
- A thorough familiarisation with Lloyd’s of London and the workings of the London Market
- Meetings with Brokers, Underwriters and other senior members of the London Market to offer a career enhancing networking opportunity
- AU$1,000 spending money to help the winner make the most of their London experience
What do previous winners think?
2017 winner, Karen Hardy of ACME Insurance Brokers summed it up by saying:
“Anyone with passion for our industry and their community should apply, it is the gift that keeps on giving. I would highly recommend this programme to others – for me, this was a career highlight and I truly believe that anyone with an interest in our industry and/or their future within it should apply. The connections made and opportunities presented are invaluable.”
2016 winner, Daniel Bullock of Safeguard Insurance Brokers, said:
“Being the 2016 Valerie Baker Memorial Award recipient has provided me with career highlights beyond my expectations. The application process wasn’t as daunting as I thought and the great education, contacts and experiences I ended up receiving via the Award far exceeded my initial thoughts. I say to anyone considering applying, do it – you may just be as fortunate as me”.
What are the selection criteria?
Designed to reflect Valerie’s business principles, the selection criteria/success indicators are:
- Ethics and values
- Business success
- Client relationships
- Industry contribution
More information about Valerie is available here https://www.goldseal.com.au/valerie-baker-award/our-founder/
If you are interested in nominating a person for the Award or in applying, please go to the link on the Gold Seal website https://www.goldseal.com.au/valerie-baker-award/nomination-and-application-process/ and follow the steps as outlined. It’s a straightforward process but any potential candidates are cordially invited to give Sheila Baker from Gold Seal a call, and she will help all comers through the application process.
If you feel you fulfil the brief, or you know a high achiever who does, your nomination for this excellent Award will strengthen their career in accordance with their talent.